Followers

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Closing And Opening Chapters

So I've been meaning to write since the end of the 2016 school term which was almost two weeks ago, but stuff and things (moving houses, mostly) have taken up most of my time and I haven't made the time to write anything here until now. So here goes.

The last week of school was a tough one. On the one hand, I was looking forward to moving out of that school and moving closer to my wife. On the other hand, I dreaded leaving the friends that I had made over there. It was the first time that I felt like I was closing a chapter of my life, one day at a time, for about a week.

Perda had been a learning ground for me. I first learned what it meant to be a full-time teacher, which was eye-opening to say the least. I was made aware of the full scope of being a teacher, and I learned for the first time that it might not be the thing for me.

I also learned about people the ways in which I could be a better friend. This was largely due to the friends that I made while teaching there. I never thought I could be such close friends with people who were significantly older than me, but they've taught me that there's more to people than just their age. If I give people a chance, just like I gave this group of people, they might surprise me by being super nice, kind and accommodating to a snot-nosed greenie like myself. They taught me to trust and to be trustworthy. They taught me loyalty. Not by telling me to be these things, but by embodying those traits and showing me how it's done. I shall be forever grateful to them for that.

Moving houses has been alright, in reality. It's just me who dislikes packing things and unpacking things that has made me feel like it's not so great. Attitude problem ja sebenaqnya. My wife and her family has been super helpful throughout the process, so I am grateful for that as well. I just try to help where I can. After a full week of work on getting the new apartment ready, it still isn't ready to be lived in quite yet. There are still a few finishing touches that need to be attended to before we can finally call it our new home.

I'm looking forward to see what life has in store for me in the future. What will the school be like? Will I be able to cope with the new working environment? What new people shall I meet? Will I be able to keep meeting up with old friends at least semi-regularly? Will I be able to take on projects more freely in the  coming months? Will I squander the opportunities that come my way? All anxiety-inducing questions, but I'm trying to take it one day at a time. That's about as much as I can take on a daily basis, if I'm honest.

Here's to the next chapter. May interesting stories come out of it.

No comments: