Followers

Friday, February 12, 2016

First Time Going To A Comedy Club

So earlier today I went to my first standup comedy show. It was a show that featured the top 8 finalists for the second season of the TV show called Komediri. I had more laughs than I was expecting to, so all is well. The show was at Crackhouse Comedy Club in Taman Tun Dr Ismail, Kuala Lumpur, and they have shows every other day, so if you’re interested in spending a night in laughter, then I would suggest you check the place out.

I suppose in this post would also be a good place to share my latest obsessions: comedy podcasts. I say latest as if I just found out about them yesterday, when in reality I’ve been listening to them for a few months now.

My two main destinations for comedy in the form of podcasts are the shows Improv4humans as well as Comedy Bang Bang. Both of them may be found in SoundCloud, and they’re a delight to listen to whether on their own or on long bus trips or when you’re doing some busywork that doesn’t require much of your attention.

Having listened to quite a few episodes of the podcasts now, I’ve come to better understand the art of comedy. I’m far from being an insider to the comedic circle, but I’ve learned so much about comedy and how it works from listening to these people being funny and talking about being funny. As a lot of comedians would admit, one never truly understands the art inside out, but there are some tricks and best practices that one can almost always depend on to coming up with funny material, and that’s a field I would love to explore in more detail, especially in the form of improv.

Improv is the act of coming up with a scene and dialogue on the spot without prior planning, and it’s no easy feat, but these comedians do it so smoothly and so funnily that it’s hard not to fall in love with the art form. It has sparked within me a desire to involve myself in improv and try to come up with scenes with other people, but of course improv is a very little known thing in Penang, or even in Malaysia, so finding other people with this same particular interest isn’t very easy.


But the thought of being able to do it with other people is certainly a fun idea. Hopefully I get to turn other people on to the art form and gradually widen the circle of interest. Soon enough, some people waaay funnier than I could ever be might take up improv, and then I get to see them perform and have a real good time being entertained by such talent. That’s the dream, anyway.

No comments: